• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lung cancer

My mom recently started taking Xalkori (Thursday) to treat lung cancer. She has various symptoms which seem associated with the cancer, most notably difficulty swallowing (liquids, not solids). However her difficulty breathing has seemed to worsen since she started taking Xalkori. I have read that is a possible side effect (albeit rare) of Xalkori. At what point is the difficulty breathing associated with the cancer, vs. a side effect of the drug? The website makes it sound like I should contact my healthcare provider immediately. It s not like she s gasping for air, but it does seem worse (wasn t really a symptom before). How concerned should we be? Thanks.
Mon, 9 Mar 2015
hi,
am very sorry for your mothers problem..
does she run fevers?
yes crizotinib(xalkori) can cause breathing problems..it can be due to drug induced pneumonitis..as it is a common side effect you cant avid it..
approach you doctor if she ihas moderate to severe breathing problem..
its no wrong if you can bring this to the notice of your doctor now (if possible)
hope my answer helped you
if you have any more queries i would be happy to help you..