• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lump on tongue

Evening. My query is this: My mum bit her tongue a long time ago which formed into a lump on the side of her tongue. This has stayed the same for a number of years with no change in size or shape or texture. The lump is soft, she has no pain from it and has had no symptoms. Her dentist has recommended a biopsy which of course is now concerning us. As it has been there so long i do not think it can be anything serious. What are your comments please? From Miss K.
Fri, 31 Jul 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

There definitely seems to be a lot going on in your mouth. ulceration on the tongue as in your case need proper medical evaluation..Once you have noticed a lump in the tongue , one thing is for sure that it is not a normal part of the body.
The probable causes can be:
Foreign body granuloma
Benign lump of the muscles
Cancer
Infection in the cut

This can be ascertained only by a clinical examination, FNAC or Excision biopsy.
I would advise the excisional biopsy for 2 reasons
1. You get rid of the lump and
2. you get a histo-pathological diagnosis to be certain what the disease is and carry on further treatment if needed.

MRI sometimes may help in diagnosis. So i would suggest you to consult oral pathologist for proper diagnosis and treatment

Hope your concern has been resolved.
Dr. Harry Maheshwari

5 users find this helpful