• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lichen planuspilaris in scalp as omega 3,6,9 didn t work.

i have lichen planuspilaris in my scalp. I am losing my hair daily. I have tried emuaid. and herbals stuff like stinging nettle, horsetails. omega 3,6,9, plus creams given by dermatologists.. I am stressing out over losing my hair and I don t know what to do.
Thu, 20 Aug 2015
Hello. Thanks for writing to us at healthcaremagic

Lichen plano pilaris (LPP) is one of the causes of Cicatricial Alopecia (irrreversibe loss of hair) of the scalp.
LPP is characterized clinically by follicular lesions, scaling and loss of hair leaving behind smooth atrophic patches and hyperpigmentation. The disease tends to spread at the periphery.
The therapies that you have tried are not specific to LPP.
Specific treatment of LPP is with Oral steroids which would arrest further progression as well as reverse early damage.
Oral steroids are usually given in pulse doses and may be required to be continued for 4-6 months.
Topical treatment is with potent topical steroid lotions with or without salicylic acid.
I would suggest that you seek another appointment with your dermatologist. Your dermatologist will assess the condition and prescribe accordingly.

Dermatologist Dr. Vanya Narayan 's  Response
Hello, if you have a confirmed diagnosis of lichen planopilaris, and still losing hair, it suggests that the disease is active currently and so, the therapy can be directed to stop the progression.
I would have considered a short course of steroids (to halt the activity) and a longer therapy with hydroxychloroquine after baseline investigations, depending on the clinical evaluation.
Hence, it is better to discuss these options with your dermatologist.
As far as herbal medicines are concerned, there is no evidence of their efficacy in Lichen planopilaris.
Thanks