• question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee pain

I have had some knee pain on the inside of the knee on my right knee for almost a month now. I have been icing it from time to time to help as well as resting it when I can. It isn t getting any better and it causes me to limp when I walk from the pain. Should I go in to the doctor, or just continue to wait?
Tue, 26 May 2015
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of osteoarthritis both knees. Often called wear-and-tear arthritis, osteoarthritis occurs when the protective cartilage on the ends of your bones wears down over time. Osteoarthritis treatments can slow the progression of the disease, relieve pain and improve joint function.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for detailed examination. You may get the X-ray/MRI, some blood tests and joint fluid analysis under his/her guidance to reach the accurate diagnosis.
The following measures will help with the pain
Do regular Exercise. Exercise can increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joint, making your joint more stable. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking, biking or swimming.
Lose weight if you are obese- Being overweight or obese increases the stress on your weight-bearing joints, such as your knees and your hips. Even a small amount of weight loss can relieve some pressure and reduce your pain.
Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.