Suggest treatment for itchy hives on the body

For the past three days, I have been getting extremely itchy - all different random areas of my body. I scratch and get a total histimine reaction. My skin breakouts in hives and turns all red and the itching is uncontrollable. I have been taking Benadryl but it is making me extrememly tired and dried out. I have not changed detergents, soap or anything. But it s driving me mad. What could this be?
Thu, 25 Oct 2018
Dentist 's  Response

Hives on the body with itching seems to be most probably due to an allergic reaction and in case if you have not changed any shampoo, soap or laundry etc. then it seems to be most probably due to any food or medication.

I would suggest you consult an Allergist and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations like allergic tests like Patch test, RAST test, food challenge test etc. can help in diagnosis and treatment can be done accordingly.

The tests will help in ruling out the exact cause of the allergen and once you know the cause of the allergic reaction you can avoid exposure to it to prevent an allergy attack.

The allergist can advise oral anti-allergic as well as injectable steroids for relief.

As of now, you can take anti-allergics like Levocetirizine, Allegra to control the itching and swelling. Do cool compresses. Application of Calamine lotion can help in soothing the skin.

You can also be instilled an immunotherapy that will help in reducing the severity and frequency of allergic attack.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora,
Dentist