Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
  • question-icon

    Suggest treatment for irregular periods

I am 32, 5.5 , 84 kgs. Married for the last 6 yrs. For the last 2 yrs I m having irregular menses and have gained excessive weight. From 64 kgs to 84 kgs. I was diagnosed with PCOD. Have tried many types of medications ever since but no positive results were seen as regards my menses n weight loss. All of the effects have been temporary and with several side effects. I had my menses on 15 May 16 after a Dr. subscribed me Regestrone. And then again i had menses on 6th of June (no medication was taken). No memses since then. In the 2nd week of July i started observing several changes in me like tenderness in the breasts, dizziness, nausea and feeling of vomit in the morning. By the 2nd week of August these symptoms disappeared. I tried home pregnancy test on 25th Aug but it was negative. I observed that i bleed a little after intercourse. Also was again given a course of regestrone on 16th of Sep. Now some lady from the family said that i could be pregnant as home test kits sometimes fail to give accurate results. Please guide me on this. Also if pregnant will regestrone have abnormal effects on the fetus? If not pregnant how should be my further course of action?
Mon, 22 Apr 2019
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response

Followings are my comments:
1) Irregular period cycle with brown discharge could be due to Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease, hormonal imbalance, endometriosis, mental stress and depression, old blood with endometrial tissue, vaginal or pelvic infection, overweight etc.

In this case, I suggest undergoing some basic investigation to narrow down the causes and confirm the diagnosis.

Do one blood test for beta-hCG to rule out the possible chance of conception if you did sex frequently in the last month.

2) On negative test result, I suggest to undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan and complete hormone profile (like Serum estrogen, progesterone, LH/ FSH, serum TSH, Prolactin, Testosterone, DHEAS etc) to rule out underlying pelvic pathology. You can consult with your nearest OBGYN for proper guidance.

3) Combined hormonal pills are the mainstay of treatment to regularize your cycle. Some other supportive treatment may be required as per test reports.

Take a healthy diet with low carbohydrate and Iron supplements, do light to moderate exercise for physical fitness and to control body weight, avoid mental stress by regular meditation or yoga. Maintain your genital hygiene properly and a healthy lifestyle always.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 32 years married. I am having polycystic ovaries my periods is irregular doctor advised me to take ovasafe tablet Evatone glyconet aloes...