Suggest treatment for high BP and back pain

My husband had an injection in his back L4/L5 for extreme pain. He has had 4 lumbar operations. This injection he felt and said it was extremely intense. When he left the doctor s office his blood pressure read 191/99 - he has never had that before. He has taken it several times at home (a write B.P. machine) and it is still high. The latest was 182+/90+. This is not an occurrence that always happens. I feel it is hypertension from the injection. Should he go to bed and sleep (relax) and if it is still that high in the A.M. go see a doctor? Please, he is 67 , watches his diet and excercises. What should we do now, if anything. Thank you. Darlene (on behalf of Richard)
Mon, 6 Apr 2015
Neurologist, Surgical 's  Response
Hi Darlene, that is a very high blood pressure and is definitely abnormal. Pain can certainly cause elevated blood pressure, but if he is not having pain (or less pain now after the injection), his blood pressure is very high. If he is having any symptoms at all, like headache, blurry vision, weakness or numbness anywhere with this high blood pressure he needs to go to an emergency room right away. If he is not having any symptoms at all and his blood pressure is in the 180s still at rest, then I would recommend that you coordinate with your primary care doctor as soon as possible, as he may need to be started on an anti-hypertensive medication, or undergo a workup to find out why he is suddenly developing elevated blood pressure. I hope this answer is helpful to you and your husband!