Suggest treatment for hair loss

hi..
i m having hairloss from two years.. i have thin hair.. no strength..
and they grow very slow.
i want to grow my hair and keep them healthy.
Can u plz guide for biotin supplements.. ? are they safe for long time use..
And will happen if i stop the use after getting desired result.. ??
Wed, 11 Jun 2014

Thank you for posting on HCM.

I appreciate your concern regarding hair fall. Hair fall is usually ascribed to multiple factors like diet and nutrition, hormones, stress, acute or chronic medical conditions,drugs,cosmetic products etc.

Since you have not mentioned relevant history and description like sex, pattern of hair loss(patchy/diffuse), family history etc, its difficult to put a definitive diagnosis. Still, it seems you are suffering from either Androgenetic alopecia (due to hormones and genetically determined) or Telogen effluvium (Due to any recent stressful event or any other medical condition)

If i were your dermatologist/trichologist, i would like to take through history including family history, history of recent major trauma /illness/ stress/ medications etc, your menstrual history and recommend some basic investigations like CBC,blood sugar,Thyroid function test.
Also some other special tests like trichogram and dermoscopy can aid in diagnosis and prognosis.

I would suggest you a course of oral tablets containing biotin and other essential vitamins and minerals (Tab. Follihair new) for minimum 6 months.

Also, would put you on solution containing 5%/10% minoxidil once a day and a hair serum/gel containing peptides for hair growth at night.(Q sera, Grocapix etc).

I would advise use of gentle shampoo and conditioner on regular basis and use of coconut oil twice a week.

Also enquire from your dermatologist about upcoming treatment options like mesotherapy and platelet-rich plasma.

Avoid combing in wet hair and let them dry by wrapping in towel. Avoid blow dryers and hair-color/dyes. Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet and try to de-stress your routine life.

Hope your queries are resolved and wish you best of health.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda