• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fever and vomiting

I have had a fever since last Saturday. I cough a lot, last night I coughed so I vomited several times. I have been to the doctor who says it's a virus. But many around me have been suffering from pneumonia. Could it be that I have? Was the doctor and took the CRP, the fast variant. It showed the 40 but the physician is not high enough to get antibiotics ... I can not stand it! It does not get better, only worse. Should I apply for a new doctor and get another opinion?

Mon, 4 May 2015
Hi there, Thanks for your faith in health care magic, Your symptoms like fever and cough for quite few days is highly suggestive of a respiratory tract infection, the possibility varies between upper to lower, though as you mentioned that you have had contact with people having pneumonia so it a possibility of contracting the same does exist, though for pneumonia the cough has to be productive and the sputum is likely to be pale yellow to greenish suggesting infective etiology, but presence of fever for this many days does indicate the use of antibiotics, and CRP levels are not criteria for antibiotics, but the fever is. presence of vomiting also rises possiblity of tonsillitis or pharyngitis which may cause throat irritation and induce vomiting. I would also like to know that whether you experience wheezy breathing or any shortness of breath or not? as it may suggest involvement of your airways, in any case the use of a broad spectrum antibiotic which has its spectrum ranging from upper to lower respiratory tract may help. if you were my patient i would have recomended you Azithromycin 250mg twice daily for 5 days, or if you are allergic to macrolides then i would have suggested moxifloxacin 400mg once daily for 5 days along with an antipyretic for your fever, an anti allergic or anti histamine like Loratidine 10mg twice daily for 5 days as well as an anti-tusive/ expectorant syrup for your cough and discomfort is recommended. Though changing your treating physician is highly indicated along with a detailed work up involving, Complete blood picture along with CRP and ESR, and a chest Xray is highly recommended, also a detailed examination of your chest with a stethoscope to look for ronchi, wheezes or crepitations along with a detailed throat examination for tonsillitis and pharyngitis is mandatory. Hope it suffices your query, Keep posting, See you around.