Suggest treatment for diarrhea

My son is 4 years old and for the last week has had really runny poos. Sometimes 2/3 times a day. It smells. He doesn t appear to be unwell with it and hasn t lost his appetite. What do you think it is? Is it worth taking him to an out of hours doctors?
Mon, 21 May 2018
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting, you need not worry. There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhea. I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops) and is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your pediatrician). Regarding diet - avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements and ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridge and soups.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.