Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease and lower back pain

Hello, I have been experiencing lower back pain for years now, I was going to the doctors and they told me it was just a muscle spasm. Recently I went to an urgent care due to really bad radiating pain from my low back, to the belt line of my left buttock, and it shot down my leg. They diagnosed me with Degenerative Disc Disease, which was causing sciatica.(L5,S1) (DDD runs on my mother s side of the family, her, her 3 siblings,and her dad. But I do understand that it is something that happens to pretty much everyone over time.) MY LOW BACK HURTS on a daily basis but is getting worse. Urgent care wrote me for methyl-prednisolone, ibuprofen 800, and Norco 5mg, for the sciatica, which helped minimize the pain but I can still feel it. I just looked into the mirror and my right love handle is noticeably bigger than the left. Any clue as to what this is? I also have this weird pain that comes from time to time, usually after eating a majority of the time, where it almost feels like a pressure type of pain (it s like I can feel it gaining pressure or the pain progressing) about 5 inches above my belly button center of my chest, maybe like the sternum area, and i can feel it in my back in the middle but under my shoulder blades. And it s inescapable, but goes away with time. I ve been thinking it s just gas maybe? I m just curious and wanted to ask an opinion of a professional. Thank you, -chris
Tue, 21 Jul 2015
Report Abuse
HIV AIDS Specialist 's  Response
First of all, you had not mentioned your age which is very important in your case. For treatment of degenerative disc disease and lower back pain you can take some pain killer like biozobid-plus or ultracet-mr only when the pain is worse enough or disturbing your daily work along with some calcium supplements like shalcal-d or toscal-gem once daily. Take some multivitamin like supradyn or zevit once daily. Do physiotherapy exercises after an expert opinion of physiotherapist. I will also advice you to sleep on plain surface.
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with 4 degenerated cervical discs a year ago, two of them severe. Am experiencing numbness at base of skull when I lie down for...