Suggest treatment for blocked carotid artery

What s the procedure that is an integrated approach that I talked to Dr. Weil about 20 years ago.It removes plague from the Carotid artery. If the blockage is only 60%,what would you do to lower the level pf plaque?The person is in Annapolis, MD and is 81 yrs old. The process that I can t remember the name of had the person taking something orally that bind to the plaque, and removed it.Does anyone know the name of the process or can you suggest anything else? Thank you
Tue, 27 Jan 2015
Neurologist 's  Response
I read your question carefully but I must confess I am not sure what procedure or treatment you have been proposed.
Usually if the blockage is under 70% it is managed with medication which consists in a blood thinner like Clopidogrel and Aspirin coupled with a statin like Atorvastatin. Of course accompanying conditions like diabetes, high blood lipids, smoking should be addressed.
More invasive intervention (like surgery - endarterectomy or endovascular treatment) is usually for those with a narrowing of over 70%. For a 60% stenosis you need periodic re-evaluation with ultrasonography.

I hope to have been of help.