Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and conduct disorder

hi just wondering what i can do for my 11 year old boy that adhd odd and conduct disorder dealing with this for a long time he is on stuff but not working and has really bad behavorial nobody wants to help he needs help just not right for a 11 year old boy i feel there is more to it and he is not right and got mental promblem what kind of doctor he needs to see
Thu, 12 Mar 2015
Report Abuse
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
We understand your concern.
I am Dr Alok Sinha, MD Psychiatry from india.
I will try to help you.

In children ADHD is a well known psychiatric diagnosis characterised with poor attention & concentration and hyperactivity. The child does not sit at a place still & runs here and there. Child does not complete a work and before ending picks up another task again just to leave it incomplete too. Due to poor attention the child does not pay attention at teacher's/parent's words leading to poor learning at school and non adherence to elder's instructions at home. The child can not register things and events in memory due to lack of attention and concentration. While writing they dont use punctuation marks and do silly grammatical errors.

If most of the above things are true in your child's case then he may be sufferring from ADHD.
The children with ADHD can not wait for their turn, are often impulsive and may quarrel with others on minor issues. Sometimes the child feels an inner intense compulsion to do certain things that may violate others's right. Thus conduct disorder is a co-morbidity often, as it happened in your child's case.

If a child like your son with such a problem is brought to me, I will do following things to have a holistic view of problem.
1. IQ testing to rule out co-morbid Mental Retardation.
2. MRI brain to find out any structural pathology if there.
3. Screening for "Autistic spectrum disorder"
4. Detail history and EEG to rule out any seizure activity.

Secondly your concern is right as the child with ADHD is not immune for other mental illness & he very well may have more than one psychiatric problems at a time.

We have to treat child as a whole not as a ADHD patient only. Parents & teachrrs have a very important role in therapy as they are well aware of the child's problem and also readily available for behavioural modification.

You must consult a good child psychiattist who may evaluate your child personally in detail. He may prescribre certain medicines for his illness and behaviour control. He may also tailor a behavioural therapy programme as needed and may involve you also in the therapy of your child.
With constant effort he can be cured. I wish you & your child all the best.

Hope this answered your question.
I find this answer helpful
Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your details. I can understand. ADHD is to be treated with the help of psychiatrist and a psychologist. Psychiatrist prescribes medicines and psychologist helps with behavioral therapy and other methods. ADHD is curable if proper diagnosis and treatment is provided. First you have to take the child to a psychologist who impartially assess the child for mental disorder with the psychometric tools. Diagnosis is usually made there. Then the psychologist will advise you in further treatment process. Work with him for total cure.

If you require more of my help in this aspect, please use this URL. Make sure that you include every minute details possible.

Hope this answers your query. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

A lot of children with Attention deficit disorder develop behavioural problems. Conduct disorder is also a common complication. So to treat these children a proper consultation by a psychiatrist is needed. Medicines like Atomoxetine or Amphetamines result in improvement of symptoms of inattention. For behavioural problems in such children and violent episodes of conduct disorder medicines like mood stabilisers as Sodium Valproate can help. These medicines would stabilise his mood and symptoms would reduce.

Thanks, hope this helps you.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, Is there any treatment available for ADHD - LD (Learning Disorder)? My 5 year old child (male) is suffeing from ADHD - LD. He is having some...