Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
158 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and umbilical hernia

Yes, I am 49 yrs old, female, who had a sub total colectomy with 12-15 inch vertical incision mid abdomen for the procedure in 2009. The incision was closed with staples. Prior to the surgery, I was healthy, athletic, (professional athlete ), and happy. The operation was done for chronic constipation/large bowel inertia/severe. My large intestines were overly long, thick, and torturous . Within 6-8 month after surgery I started having severe abdominal pain, and. The formation of a golf ball size umbilical hernia on the left upper quadrant of my abdominal wall. Over the last 18 months this hernia has increased to the size of a grapefruit I m having incisional pain severe abdominal pain, bloating severe constipation not relieved by enemas suppositories or laxatives weight gain fatigue and general decline in health. My gastroenterologist does not seem to think that the hernia is something that I should be overly concerned with and I ve had trouble getting an appointment over the last two months to have this checked out the surgeon that did my abdominal procedure did sloppy work and I had severe post operative hemorrhage requiring four units of blood transfusioned. My question for you is what is the prevalence of abdominal adhesions and/or the possibility that I have strangulated bowel in the hernia region since as I have such severe abdominal bloating and constipation and pain/incisional pain and stretching...and should this be something that I should have taking care of surgically right away? Also is there a type of specialist that works on bowel and hernia repairs since my gastroenterologist is not a surgeon and the surgeon that did the procedure does not specialize in gastroenterology problems? I am located in Austin Texas thank you sincerely Leahnn McGee
Thu, 6 Nov 2014
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Any hernia whether incisional or umbilical can be managed by surgery alone.
Hernias usually increase over a period of time.
If not treated in time, hernias can progress and cause stangulation of entrapped bowel loops thus, timely treatment is required.
You need to consult a surgeon and a gastrosurgeon preferably for management.
Examination of the incision has also be examined to assess the health of the wound.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have an umbilical hernia. It’s been around for 10 years. I recently went to go see a specialist about it and he suggested I lose 50lbs. He...

Recent questions on  Enema

doctor1 MD

I have a long history of ibs-c and when I am constipated my pain from intersistal cystitis increases. Therefore I occasionally do a fleet enema. I...

doctor1 MD

hi i suffer from chronic contipation fiv e years now ,i have tried many laxitive but only made things worse,i take enemas everyday for releive ,if...

doctor1 MD

Yes, I am 49 yrs old, female, who had a sub total colectomy with 12-15 inch vertical incision mid abdomen for the procedure in 2009. The incision...

doctor1 MD

My Daughter 6+ years old is having Acute Pain in her Lower Abdomen since 3 days (approx 3 - 4 Hours every Day she cries at the peak of her ability)...