Suggest treatment for a small patch on the right cheek of a 22-year-old

Hello. I m a soon-to-be 22 year old mixed race (black and white/cuban) male, and my skin reflects such. I m a darker brown but not a full typical Afro American color (or as the kids say these days I am lightskinned ). I have a small patch of skin on my right cheek that is slightly lighter in color than the rest of my face, and it takes a little bit longer to grow hair there, but eventually it fills out. I ve had this for maybe 2 years now that I can remember noticing and it really only shows itsself in the warmer seasons. Although I ve taken notice I ve avoided seeing a doctor about it. However recently, about two or three weeks ago, I noticed that the same skin discoloration around my hairline. At first it was a thin patch, but I noticed three days ago it now has moved down to a decent portion of my forehead. My girlfriend has mentioned it s not noticeable and I believe her since it s not a hard lightened pigment as typically seen with people with people with vitiligo, but since it s on my face I ve taken a notice of it and quick and have secretly been stressing about it. I ve been going out in the sun enough for me to achieve a typical summer tan, but haven t been outside enough to get a noticeable one (as in if I were to actually go tanning, which again I don t do) What are somethings to consider? How common is this, should I see my primary care? And what could be potential diagnosises? -David T
Sat, 16 Nov 2019
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response
dermatologic conditions are hard to discuss without seeing them. but differences in color are a nortoriously difficult issue. Dermabrasion is a roll of the dice as likely to make things better as worse. Aging and sun and wear will tend to even things out but will age the skin. Make up would work but you'll have reservations about it. Fundamentally, any alteration is quite likely to produce other unwanted effects which is why this is fundamentally a very difficult problem.