Suggest treatment for Strattera

I have a client that has been prescribed Strattera. But pharmacy has said there is no 25 MGpills only 40, 60, & 80. So the Dr and pharmacy are not able to work it out. She is 27 and about 150 lbs. Is it normal to have such a low dose? And is there a reason for the low dose? Her Dr is on Telemed and this med was prescribed almost a month ago. So this has been quite a struggle.
Wed, 10 Jan 2018
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response
Strattera (Atomoxetine) is a drug given for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
The dosage (as per guidelines) for a 27 yr old person with 150 lbs is 40 mg to start with. You can titrate and go up to 80 mg.
However the pediatric dosing is 0.5 mg/kg/day.
I cannot figure out a specific reason for low dose prescription in your case. But as they say you can explain everything in medicine, following are two possibilities you can consider
1. The drug is metabolised in body via liver, so if a person has some amount of liver dysfunction you can cut down dose to avoid toxicity
2. Interestingly this drug comes with a bold warning from FDA that it can cause severe suicidal tendencies in the patient, therefore many clinicians prefer to start slow in low dosages and if patient tolerates well they hike up to the therapeutic dose. I totally agree with this rationale as it is safe for the patient
I hope I could clarify your doubts and pl feel free to discuss if you have any further queries
Thanks