• question-icon

Suggest treatment for Burning mouth syndrome

My husband has been dealing with burning mouth syndrome is there any thing to help his problem , he has been suffering with this for about 2 years. He smoked for years and his burning mouth started after he stopped smoking, he really is at his wit ends over this can you help?
Tue, 23 Jun 2015
Hi.
Read and understood the problem being suffered by your husband.
He has burning mouth syndrome, that has started after stopping the smoking.
Smoking causes changes in the mucosal lining of hte mouth and the respiratory tract, which on stoppage will try to recapitulate to being normal and takes months together.
Nothing much to worry.
I would advise in all such patients the following:
First of all get a course of an antibiotic, metronidazole and probiotic for 5 days to control any subclinical infection that develop due to the abrasions.
Take a therapeutic course of Vitamin A and D.
Continue multivitamins.
Take soft rather liquid and bland diet.
Avoid anything that is too hot or too cold.
And he shall be fine soon.