Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for ADHD in a child

My Child who is 7 years old was diagnised with ADHD by a Clinical Pschologist one year ago.But no medication has been prescribed.I have already informed the school management about it.But the teachers are unaware of it and they were complaining that he won t sit at one place and fails to complete the tasks at school and facing difficulty in focusing.Shall I continue in the same school which is academically good for all the other children or shall i change him to any special school which will cater his needs?and Shaii I have to start medication for him or Behaviour therapy is Better?Please suggest me the best way out to deal with my boy with Adhd
Wed, 11 Sep 2019
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response

It may not be easy to treat ADHD in kids If ADHD remains incompletely treated, it does a toll on child's self-esteem also & too many times, in a desire to get noticed, get some appreciation, the child engages into undesirable behaviors which are at present your main concern.

There are medications which can be used and include methylphenidate or atomoxetine.

As a part of parent-teacher management, we can engage in the token economy, contingency management, role plays, time out, etc.

Which are taught by Psychologist to both the parents & teachers in school? Hence, do contact your Psychologist for PTMT; if need further helps does revert back to me.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Iven Romic Rommstein, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, Is there any treatment available for ADHD? My 6.5 year old child (male) is suffeing from ADHD. He is having some behaviroual issues and he can not focus on a task for more then 2-3 minutes. Most of the time he seeks for our attention, and try to distract ourselves if we don t listen him. We are really helpless as this is affecting our normal life. We are very worried about his own future too. Right now he is taking a couple of OT therepy sessions, and also taking help from special educators for his education needs. Any help ? Thanks Vipin

doctor1 MD

My 5 yrs kid was diagnised with ADHD .I am looking for doctors in vizag for the treatment.Can you please suggest me a doctor in vizag for him? Thank you,

doctor1 MD

my son is having ADHD with mild AUTiSM .He is not able to do his activities of daily living,does not follow instructions,poor social development and attention span .We are giving therapies like- sensory integration ,sports, speech ,occupational,etc.But the results are very slow.Medicines-Brainwise Syp( Omega 3 fatty acid ), Biocobol Syp(Metcobalamime),Arcamin Tab.Please suggest any remedy for speedy recovery.