Suggest remedy to stop vaginal pain during intercourse and periods

during sexual intercourse i get a really sharp pain in my vagina and up my side, its been so bad iv been reduced to tears by it. i have extremly heavy and painful periods also, is this related and is there something i can do to stop the pain? or what could be causing it?krm
Fri, 30 Aug 2019

There are many reasons why a woman may bleed after sex. The medical name for this is "postcoital bleeding".

Most common is an infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), or a sexually transmitted infection (STI), such as chlamydia then vaginal dryness (atrophic vaginitis) caused by reduced vaginal secretions after the menopause, damage to the vagina, such as tears caused by childbirth, or by dryness or friction during sex or cervical or endometrial polyps (benign or non-cancerous growths in the womb or the lining of the cervix).

If the problem is caused by vaginal dryness, they may recommend that you try using lubricating gels. For other treatments, it would be necessary to see a gynecologist and establish the right cause first.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon