Suggest remedy for swollen labia

I had sexual intercourse yesterday and shortly after it I was in a tremendous amount of pain, now to begin with I ascribe this to the fact that the intercourse was rough. However upon inspection I discovered my labia were very swollen. This swelling reduced over the course of a couple hours and was complete clear the next. However it was replaced by a urgency to urinate and the presence of blood in my urine, any ideas what this is or what to do?
Fri, 24 Mar 2017
Diabetologist 's  Response

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I have read your question fully and understand your concerns.

You are right in thinking that the labia were swollen due to rough sexual intercourse.

The symptoms of urgency to urinate and blood in the urine is likely due to cystitis/lower urinary tract infection. Cystitis after intercourse is common in females; I feel that is what has happened to you. Micro-organisms that are normally present near the labia, vagina, and anus can enter into the urinary bladder through the urine pipe (called the urethra) during the act of intercourse.

Treatment is by a 3 day course of antibiotics like Trimethoprim 200 mg twice a day or Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice a day (provided you are not allergic to the antibiotics). Drink plenty of fluids to flush the infection away. You can also have cranberry juice – available as sachets or liquid form in any pharmacy.

If your symptoms are worsening or you start getting pain in the back, or you start getting fever with chills, rigors and nausea/vomiting, that means that the infection has spread upwards into the kidneys. You have to see a doctor straightaway for this.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Thank you
Dr Sunita Sayammagaru