• question-icon

Suggest remedy for recurrence of hidradenitis suppurativa

i am 28yr old lady and i have been diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa in right axilla.consulted with a dermatologist and advised to take doxycycline for ten days.. then i am obese also.. will my weight loss alone help to reduce the recurrence of the disease? or should i undergo surgical excision? and after surgery wont it recur?
Thu, 12 Mar 2015
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,

It is believed that the inciting factor in Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is follicular occlusion and bacterial colonization is secondary to it.

Antibiotics are often part of the treatment plan of HS. Antibiotics can fight infection, prevent HS from worsening, and stop new breakouts.

You can use combination of clindamycin and rifampicin as part of treatment of HS.

Lactobacilli spores can be taken prophylactically along with these antibiotics to prevent any possible gut disturbance.
Thank you.