Suggest remedy for pain in neck with muscle tightness

I am a mortgage loan officer and sit at a computer for 8-10 hours per day. I am having pain in my neck with muscle tightness and strain as well as pain in my shoulder joint and tingling and numbness in my arm and hand. (I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel as well) This is all on my right side and that is the side that I use for my mouse and hold that position for a long period of time daily. Any suggestions on pain relief as not working on the computer this many hours is not an option.
Mon, 31 Aug 2015
Hi there Thanks for your question.

Working on the computer for long periods, over years can lead repetitive strain injury with pain pattern similar to what you have.The kind of posture you adopt while working on the computer predicts the pattern of pain. I suggest you to go through websites detailing what is known as Ergonomics for working on computer. You will find images and instructions all across the web on correct posture for your neck, eye level, monitor level, wrist position and so on.You should take a break every half an hour while working on the monitor. Stretch your muscles , take a stroll and come back to work.Once you start religiously following this , I sure you will have some meaningful pain relief. If the pain still persists at the end of a month, you should go ahead with physiotherapy with neck muscle strengthening and X-rays if required.

Hope this helps..

All the best. Regards.

Dr.SBK.