Suggest remedy for low grade fever in children

my 8 year old son has had a low grade fever on and off for a week now,along with a dry cough, sleeping a lot, and no appetite. He is drinking a lot of fluids. He has ADHD but meds have been unnecessary this week, so I haven t given them. Does he need antibiotics or sshould we wait a few more days?
Thu, 18 May 2017
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth