Suggest Remedy For Foul Smell In Nose, Post Mastoid Sinuses Removal

I had extensive sinus surgery on 12/30/2010. Severely deviated septum removed, turbinates fixed, mastoid sinuses removed, upper sinus reopened, etc. for the last 14 days, on and off, I have had a foul smell in my nose. I still do the neilmed washes daily. about every other day the smell starts and stays for 48 hours or so and then i will get a green glob out and be smell free for 36 - 48 hours then the smell returns. What is going on??? Remedies????
Tue, 29 Dec 2020

Recurrent green globe and dirty smell after sinus surgery is indicative of a bacterial infection and most probably changes of atrophic rhinitis in which the mucus membrane undergoes changes hampering normal functions, least blood supply and changed over hormonal changes that occur in the body. I would advise you the following:
* Consult an ENT surgeon
* Nasal and ear endoscopy
* CT scan of sinuses
* Relevant tests of blood
* Send the nasal discharge for lab tests like gram staining, AFB staining for tuberculosis; culture and sensitivity

All these will help for a proper diagnosis and thus for any additional treatment with an appropriate antibiotic, local nasal care, hormone replacement and so on. Usually a course of iron, multivitamins helps a lot.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon