Suggest remedy for anxiousness after asthma attack

my daughter had a asthma attack the weekend and was taken into hospital for three days she was nebuliser very two hours and then put on oral steroids prednisolone eight a day. She is taking fluoexitine 40mg daily. I have just come home and she says she feels weird anxious sad and feels something bad is going to happen but doesn t know what. she is not hearing or seeing things. Is this usual after ready below this could be because of the steroids at the moment
Thu, 18 Dec 2014
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response

Thank you for asking at HCM.

I went through your daughter's history and would like to make suggestions for her as follows:

1. Usually drugs used in asthma attack (including steroids) do not cause such anxiety symptoms. Excess dose of salbutamol can cause palpitations ,tremors, etc but do not cause sad and "impending bad" feelings. So I would not first think of such feelings due to treatment of asthma attack.

2. As she has been put on Fluoxetine, I assume she has some psychiatric disorder. May be those feelings are manifestation of the same psychiatric disorder. So, were I treating her, I would suggest her to follow-up at her treating psychiatrist to discuss regarding the symptoms o anxiety and depression.

3. In future, I would highly recommend her stress reduction, relaxation and meditation to improve her anxiety symptoms as psychological stress can worsen asthma control and can trigger an asthma attack.

Hope above information will be helpful to your daughter.

Wish her the best of the health and a very good recovery ahead.

Thank you & Regards.