Suggest opinion about minoxidil for hair loss

Hi,i am femal 23 years old my wight 52kg ,lenght 160m, i had hairloss since 4year,i use many thing but not effect at all, i read about minoxidil is it effective for my case?, and if i use it then cut it suddenly is it cause baldness, help me doctor please..
Mon, 11 May 2020
Hi

The cause of hair loss should be identified.Hair loss can occur in hypothyroidism but it is not the only cause. Nutritional deficiency such as anemia,Hormonal imbalance, stress, excessive weight loss can all cause hair loss.

Dandruff,Seborrheic dermatitis and many infections can also cause hair loss. Localised loss of hair can occur in skin conditions such as Alopecia areata which should also be ruled out.

Minoxidil is a vasodilator that increases the blood flow to scalp thereby stimulating the hair follicles and increasing hair growth.

The hair growth take few weeks to start and after stopping the drug, the hair growth may stop in 2 to 3 weeks.The drug can also cause dandruff. Incase you have dandruff,it should be treated first before starting minoxidil.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Saranya Ramadoss, General and Family Physician