• question-icon

Suggest medication for persistent cough after chemotherapy

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997, had a mastectomy with no lymph node involvement. I had a recurrence in the chest wall in 1998 treated with surgery, radiation and tamoxifen. I have moved through Arimidexdex, FAC Chemotherapy, Aromasin, 6 cycles of Dosa Taxol plus Herceptin, Letrozole, and two years of Avastin and Xelodal. Since August, I have had weight loss, a persistent cough (with sputum, and light-headedness with one fainting spell. An October, 2010 Pet scan showed some cancer activity in a nodule in the lung and in the sternum. I have been on a drug holiday since November 2010, as my doctor tries to get results from a pulmonary function test. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for October 2011. My cough is getting worse, and yesterday I developed a pain in my mid rib-cage every time I cough.

Short term question: Is there some kind of cough suppression medicine I could take to prevent the pain of coughing?

Long term question:: Should I go somewhere like the Mayo Clinic to get an opinion my situation?
Mon, 28 Aug 2017
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi

You can take codeine tb for cough suppression and you can go to Mayo clinic to be more convinced about ypur situation.

Dr.Jolanda