Suggest medication for coughing phlegm with swollen lymph nodes and tonsils

I ve been sick for over a week now, lymph nodes were swollen and I had swollen tonsils with the white on them. I believe that is going away but now I am coughing up phlegm and my lower back hurts to where I cannot take the pain and have to take ibuprofen. Just want to make sure I m not missing something as I blow everything off as I just have a virus that is going around.
Wed, 7 Jul 2021
Dentist 's  Response

Well, swollen lymph nodes with swollen tonsils and white over the tonsils and other associated symptoms seems to be most probably due to bacterial throat infection leading to white patches or spots over tonsils that seems to be pus pockets caused due to bacterial throat infection or Tonsillitis caused by Group 1 Streptococcus Bacteria. It can lead to red swollen tonsils with pus pockets, difficulty or pain while swallowing, lymph node swelling, red spots on roof of mouth along with soreness and rawness etc.

As you are taking Ibuprofen, and it is an anti-inflammatory painkiller it can help you in reducing pain and inflammation, so you can feel better for sometime but if the infection is severe and is not treated with proper medication then it can continue to flare up or recur leading to increasing discomfort and pain. It looks probably like a bacterial infection so you need proper course of antibiotics to get better.

As it is present over the period of a week, you should first of all consult a Physician and get checked. They can do a throat swab culture to find out the exact nature of infection and the organism involved and accordingly treatment can be done to resolve the symptoms. In case if bacterial infection is confirmed, you can be advised to take a 5 days course of antibiotics like Azithromycin and continue with Ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling.

Also start doing warm salt water gargles and also take a Vitamin C supplement daily. Drink more of warm water and other warm fluids but make sure not to take very hot. Avoid spicy, hard and sharp and cold foods. Maintain hydration. Eat soft food that you can easily swallow. You can also take a throat lozenge twice a day to soothe the throat.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist