Suggest diet if suffering from painful swallowing due to epiglottis lesion

My spouse had a biopsy done 8 days ago. There was a lesion on the epiglottis he is a 40+ yr. smoker 2 packs per day. 67y/o wm. Within the past three days he has trouble speaking and swallowing. Prior to the biopsy he coughs when swallowing liquid and complains about eating any solids. Any suggestions on diet. His ENT is on vacation until Monday when the pathology results are given during the follow up. He also has another biopsy of the thyroid on the 28th.
Mon, 29 Apr 2019