Suggest any medication for alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

Doctor Good morning,
This is Shesh from Mumbai India and i m 33 year old male. I am been abused of alcohol, drinking heavily since last 4 years. Now i made my mind to quit completely. When i don,t drink my hand shake. I need to know the medicine available for withdrawl symptom.

Waiting for earliest reply.
Thank you
Tue, 15 Apr 2014
You seem to be suffering from alcohol dependence syndrome and as a result develop withdrawal when abstinent. I would recommend you to start medications under supervision of a psychiatrist. Generally, long acting benzodiazepines like chlordiazepoxide or diazepam is used in tapering regimen. monitoring of withdrawal symptoms is important. You will also need to undergo some basic investigations like liver function test to see the impact of alcohol on your body. In case your liver enzymes are elevated, lorazepam or oxazepam will be preferred. In addition, supplementation of thiamine is necessary.
Later on, you can also chose to start medications to manage craving for alcohol like acamprosate, naltrexone.
Hope this information helped. Best wishes.