• question-icon

Suggest an alternative medication for dry cough

My Son is 10.5 year old and he is having dry cough from last 7-8 days. Local doctor has prescribed following medicines 1.     Montair LC Kid (Levocetirizine + Montelukast) – 1 tab. At night 2.     Otrivin 0.05% paediatric nasal spray – 2 drops a 3 times a day 3.     Ascoril LS + (Levosalbutamol + Ambroxol + Guaiphenesin) – 2.5 ml 2 times a day Doctor said that his chest and throat is clear hence no need for antibiotics. He is on medication from 4 days but his dry cough is not reducing. He is sleeping well at night and completely active throughout the day. My question is above medicine/dosages are fine for his symptom’s. Do you think Ascoril LS + 2.5 is correct?
Tue, 14 Jan 2020

As of now there is no need for antibiotics. The dose of the current medicines are perfect for his age.

Continue the drugs for a few more days. The allergic cough will take one to two weeks to settle. If symptoms persist better to consult a pediatrician and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician