Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
182 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest a good iron supplement

Can you have an insufficient iron level in your blood and your blood test comes up with a normal iron content? I am severely allergic and having to take shots for allergy and antihistimine right now. I am unable to eat many foods - fruits and vegetables until th first frost. I have lost 50 pounds. I also can't take vitamins or minerals anymore since the allergy started in February of this year. I used to take iron and it really helped me I can

't take anything. could you tell me what I can do about an iron supplement. I am faint every day just about and weak. Much of this is allergy but much is the low iron I have in my system now.
Mon, 16 Jun 2014
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Serum Iron is a pretty poor predictor of iron deficiency, so yes, you could be deficient even if this value in your blood test is normal. The best test would be a full blood examination including Hb, MCV, MCHC, RDW and serum ferritin levels. (Serum ferritin measure Iron stores)From these tests, you doctor will be able to tell if you are truly iron deficient. Iron supplements vary based on the amount of elemental iron the have in them. The more iron, the stronger the effect and the stronger the side effects (constipation etc..). If you have multiple allergies I would go for a pharmaceutical iron preparation as opposed to a "natural" Iron remedy. One last thing - the weight loss is pretty severe and its hard to blame allergies or iron deficiency. Make sure you doctor checks this out fully.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, can I answer your health question? Please type your question here..s Hello sir,my son is sixteen years old.He is thyoid patient and takes...