Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Suffering with moderate gynecomastia, feeling of hard substance in pressing left nipple with fluid discharge. What should be done?

hi i am 30 yrs male frm india. since last 12 yrs i am suffering from moderate gynaecomastia . i feel that under my left nipple some hard substance when i pressed and some water like liquid comes out. but my right side no liquid comes i think it may be gynaecomastia. so what can i do now ????? pls suggest .............
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  90
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Dear Astroguru,

The hard lump that you feel under the nipple is most likely breast tissue itself. The remaining part of gynecomastia is usually fat, and has a slightly softer consistency. Although discharge from nipple is not common in gynecomastia, a clear water like discharge points towards a benign pathology.

My advice to you would be to consult a good plastic surgeon, get a hormonal profile and then plan your surgery for gynecomastia.

Best Regards,
Dr. Sharad Mishra
Answered: Sat, 8 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. V. Jayaram's  Response
hello astroguru

Gynecomastia is the abnormal development of large mammary glands in males resulting in breast enlargement.

Gynecomastia may go away on its own. If it persists, medication or surgery may help.

the following tests maybe needed for further evaluation
Blood tests
Chest X-rays
and rarely
Computerized tomography (CT) scans
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans
Testicular ultrasounds
Tissue biopsies

it is necessary to be sure your breast swelling is actually gynecomastia and not another condition. Other conditions that can cause similar symptoms include: a fatty tissue, muscle hypertrophy. hence a complete physical examination by your doctor is necessary

Most cases of gynecomastia regress over time without treatment. However, if gynecomastia is caused by an underlying condition, such as hypogonadism, malnutrition or cirrhosis, that condition may need treatment. If you're taking medications that can cause gynecomastia, your doctor may recommend stopping them or substituting another medication

Medications used to treat breast cancer and other conditions, such as tamoxifen and raloxifene can be used with your doctor s advice

Surgery to remove excess breast tissue may rarely be needed in case of complications or refractory cases
Two types of surgery are used to treat gynecomastia:
Liposuction. This surgery removes breast fat, but not the breast gland tissue itself.
Mastectomy. This type of surgery removes the breast gland tissue. The surgery is often done on an endoscopic basis, meaning only small incisions are used. This less invasive type of surgery involves less recovery time.
since you are also having discharge i recommend you get evaluated at the earliest to rule out any complications
Answered: Sat, 8 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor