Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering with hiatus hernia, have swelling in esophagus causing gastritis, heart burns. Treatment advise?

i am suffering from hietus hernia i have a swelling in my oesophagus causing high gastric problems specially empty stomach i am having nexpro rd 40 since 3 yrs from now and when i stop intake of my medicines for 1 day i have problems such as heart burns and severe gastric problems what should i do what medicines will cure me or do i have to operate it
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  158
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, viveksinghdeo333,
You tell us that you have had the problem for over three years
and you have been diagnosed to have hiatus hernia. You have
also been on the treatment to control acid.
Hiatus hernia, by itself does not cause problems unless it is very
large. The main problem is the weakness of the sphincter muscle
at the junction of the esophagus and stomach. Because of this
acid and stomach contents back up into the esophagus resulting
in damage to the lining. If this goes on untreated, ulcers can
develop and scarring with narrowing of the opening. This can
cause difficulty with swallowing. The most seroius complication
is called "Barrettt's Esophagus " where the type of cells change
to a pre-cancerous type of cells (In the lining) and can result in
cancer of the esophagus.
I hope you have had an endoscopic evaluation by a specialist
to get a good look inside and also perform a biopsy to determine
the degree of damage.
As for therapy, majority of cases do not require surgery. Drugs
should be continued as long as you have symptom relief and ther
is improvement endoscopically. This ,combined with strict dietary
measures will help. Avoid alcohol, excess caffeine, tobacco, citrus
products and drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen that can add to the
If all of this fails and your life style is affected , then consider
surgery. Now the surgery called "Fundoplication" can be safely
performed either laparoscopically or through endoscope.
Make sure that the surgeon is very well experienced in this type
of surgery.
Wish you well.
Answered: Sat, 27 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor