Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Suffering with fibromyalgia, pain in neck, back, shoulders, arms and intermittently in hands, on Hydrocodone. Solution ?

I have been suffering with fibromyalgia for several years (medically diagnosed in 1999), and on some of my worst days I have pain in my neck , back, shoulders, arms and intermittently in my hands. I have been on hydrocodone 7.5/500 for about four years. It does not completely relieve the pain, but usually makes it where I can get above the pain, and as long as I am busy (have my mind busy and focusing on something), I can usually survive each day. I am 65 and continue to work in an office environment, and hope to be able to continue until I am 70 since I am the only means of support. With all of the new regulations that I am beginning to notice in newspaper articles, etc., how difficult will it be for someone with real pain to be prescribed medications . My internist of 15 years, and who is familiar with my health, including the cervical deterioration in my neck (C-3 and C-4) and my lower back L-4 and L-5) has been prescribing my pain medication. Will I need to become a patient at a Pain Clinic? What option do I have? I am very concerned since there are some days where it is all I can do to put on a happy face and make it through the day before I return home and collapse in bed. Thanks for any information you can share.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for your query.
All the symptoms in your description typically suggests cervical and Lumbar disc disease with radiculopathy.

I suggest you to have MRI scan of cervical and lumbar spine to know the exact pathology. The management protocol depends on the severity of nerve compression.

Temporary pain relief can be obtained by using an appropriate analgesic or muscle relaxant ,Pregabalin & methylcobalamine supplements.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Take care
Answered: Mon, 25 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor