Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Suffering with depression. Had low vitamin d level. Blood test normal. Is it hormonal imbalance?

Hi. I have suspected hypothyroidism (my doctor said he did a general blood test and it was fine but I don t think he actually checked thyroid hormone levels) and have suffered with major depression on and off (I used to take sertraline and then came off it). I have suspected PMDD too as every month just before my period I get very bad symptoms including sucidal thoughts. When I tried the pill to regulate my periods it made me very (more) depressed. I had quite low vitamin d levels a few months ago but I think they ve improved now. What can I do to get my doctor to take me seriously and find out what my hormones are like so I can make sure they are balanced?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Hello Kiseki
Thanks for your question
First of all I would like to advise you to check clinically that whether you are having hypothyroidism, as it is a very common co-morbid condition with depression. Check if you are having intolerance to cold, dry skin, decreased sweating, poor appetite, weight gain, oligomenorrhea etc.
Secondly you can visit any good lab and get you Thyroid Function Tests done (T3/T4/TSH)
Usually in hypothyroidism in early stages TSH levels are in higher range and T3/T4 levels either normal or decreased.
Secondly get your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels checked as low Vit b12 (
Vitamin D levels of yours are presently in normal range so you need not to worry.
So as per my advise continue taking good antidepressant line Sertaline for long to increase the period of normality in between episodes. Thyrodi supplementation like Eltroxin in lower doses always improve symptomatology. Vit B complex capsules are also very beneficial.
So first of all ask you attending doctor for reports of your thyroid and Vitamin B12 levels and then you can ask him to modify or add new medicines.
hope I cleared your doubt
kindly rate
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor