Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Suffering with bipolar disorder, gets violent at times. Will right therapy and counseling help?

i have recently moved into a remote part of tasmania was a single mum of four children under ten and found he suffers bi polar and last night had a bad eposide of anger issues which resolted in furniture damage but dont wish to leave or bring in authorites to put him in a padded cell and sedatate him like people have before just believe that with right therapy or councilling we can tame his anger and be the family we all want we live in queenstown
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. If he has indeed been diagnosed as bipolar, simple counselling or psychotherapy would be only minimal help. Mood stabilisers and antipsychotics would be warranted in that case. However, on a thorough psychiatric evaluation he does not suffer from any form of psychosis, he might not require medication and anger management exercises might be sufficient. Hope you are clear now.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Shoaib Khan's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Thank you for your query.

At first, bi-polar disorder did carry a social stigma in the past, but is now treatable and does not require isolation or sedation.

Yes maam, the right course of therapy and counselling will help greatly. All you need to make sure of is that your son follows the course and listens to advise given to him by his doctor/counselor.

Please do not think of your son as any less or one who cannot socialize, once he realizes he needs help, he shall reach forward for it. Kindly consult a doctor and help your son.

I hope I have succeeded in answering your questions, you could write back to us anytime for further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Answered: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor