Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Suffering from tooth pain, abscess, decayed tooth, large lump under skin near nose. Medical attention needed?

Hi, I have had toothache recently. Went to the dentist and he said I had a bad abscess and a decayed tooth. After the swelling had gone down I discovered a large tough lump under the skin on the side of my nose . He carried out the treatment needed a few days ago and from what I gather drained the abscess. Although the tooth is now fine the lump is still very much present and isn t going down. Could this be nerve damage as at first touching the lump made my tooth hurt, or will this lump go down in time? Thanks :)
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  398
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

The lump arised due to the pus existing under the periapical area.

I would suggest you to get the pus drained completely thro' access opening.
The infected pulp has to be completely removed from the pulp canal.
If NEcessary,apicectomy has to be done.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Take complete course of antibiotics -analgesics.
If pain saustain,apply dologel to relieve pain.
Take care.
Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi there ,

According to your history i can suspect your infected tooth has gone worse and you have developed a periodontal abscess due to spread of infection to the underlying tissues.

The lump or swelling you can notice is nothing but the abscess cavity bulging extra orally and it drains the pus in the oral cavity.

This type of periodontal abscess needs to be drained and compressed in position and then followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesic will subside the symptoms of pain and swelling.

once the abscess is drained the infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure to devitalise it permanently and save the tooth or of the prognosis is poor the tooth can be extracted.

get an x ray done the affected area and approach a dentist for the treatment.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Your clinical history suggest that due to infection in the tooth there is formation of abscess that had to the surrounding tissue leading to formation lump which is bulging out externally.

This type of an abscess cavity need to be drained .
Take complete course of antibiotic and analgesic .
Take the x-ray of the involved tooth , most probably you have to go for root canal treatment of the tooth or apicectomy or if the condition of the tooth is poor it can extracted.

Take saline water gargles 3-4 times a day , use antiseptic mouthwash solution like chlorhexidine twice daily to prevent infection and promote healing .

Hope this helps out .

Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor