Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Suffering from tonsillitis, pregnant currently. Prescribed Penicillin VK. Will it cause birth defects?

Hi I have been prescribed Penicillin VK ( Phenoxymethylpenicillin ) 500 mg 4 times a day for tonsilitus and am currently 25 weeks pregnant. Just a bit worried about taking them as some websites say they have been known to cause birth defects. Also did query this with the pharmacist but assured me all was ok just looking to double check. #thanks
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  142
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
penicillin V is can take that.It does not cause birth defects.It is a category B drug,safe in pregnancy.
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Allergist and Immunologist Dr. Suman Kumar's  Response
penicillin group is safe and you can take it at any time of pregnancy even in ist trimestor
you dont worry it will have no effect on baby be sure
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor