Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Suffering from thalassemia major. Taking blood transfusions. Safe to have bone marrow transplant?

hi,my sisters son has thalassemia major,he is now 20 years old,he regularly every month goes to hospital to have blood tranfusions and then takes medicines for the excess iron atc,i just wanted to know that would it be safe to have a bone marrow transplant at this age or should it have been done years back? plz could u reply asap with full info,many thanks
Asked On : Tue, 4 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Bone marrow transplantation is a curative treatment for thalassemia major.
It can be done at this age , provided he has not developed any long term complications of thalassemia major and whether iron chelation has been done regularly.
But earlier the transplantation better is the result.
Does that answer your question?
Answered: Sun, 9 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor