Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suffering from severe gastric problem. Is there any permanent solution for that?

Hello Doctor, My husband is suffering from severe gastric problem since 2 years, inspite of following the proper diet .He is taking many treatment. He feels better whenever he takes medcine but if again if he leaves to take,the problem is recurring. He feels very irritated because of gastric since his stomach often swells. Is there any permanent solution for that? And whether Aristozyme digestive enzyme can be used as medicine for this?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
A proper diagnosis is required for a proper management of your symptoms. I suggest you might need to visit the gastroenterologist for a proper clinical evaluation. An endoscopy to properly diagnose the cause of these symptoms would be very necessary. This could show whether its a gastric ulcer, gastritis, gasto duodenal ulcers or other causes. Biopsies could be made and screening for the commonest cause of gastritis, helicobacter pylori screened.
Other causes of gastric pain shall also be evaluated by the gastroenterologist. An abdominal ultrasound and stool examinations and cultures might be necessary for a complete evaluation.
I suggest you take an appointment with your gatsroenterologist for an exact diagnosis and proper management.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nirmala P's  Response
Hello Harini, bloating/ swelling sensation (flatulence) in the stomach is due to excessive production & accumulation of gas. This problem is often long drawn if proper dietary measures are not taken.
The complex sugar (polysaccharides) present in the food should be converted to simple sugar (monosaccharides) to get absorbed. If this does not occur properly then that will result in accumulation of gas.
Your husband should avoid food stuffs rich in complex sugar like garlic, cluster beans, pulses,potato & cashew. Spices like cumin & coriander will help. Asafoetida also is found to be useful.
He can take one capsule of probiotic lactobacillus daily. It improves the digestive process.
Lactobacillus is better than Aristozyme & more specific for this condition. The drug Simethicone is advisible if flatulence is severe. This drug is not absorbed & so is very safe.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that your husband is having symptoms due to increased acidity and gas production.

He should follow some precautions like :-
1. Avoid gas producing foods like peas, legumes, cabbage, etc.
2. Donot eat fast and donot talk while eating, as these result in swallowing more air with food.
3. Avoid spicy/oilyfoods.
4. Donot miss a meal.
5. Avoid cigarette/alcohol, if any.
6. Avoid mental/emotional stress.
7. Donot self medicate, especially with pain killers and steroids.
8. Drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water daily.

Digestive enzymes preparation, as mentioned by you, can be taken twice a day after meals for relief.
He should also take an antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg once a day before meals along with Domperidone 10 mg.

He should also get investigated for
1. H.pylori
2. Liver Function Test(LFT).

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor