Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Suffering from severe back pain. CT scan showing enlarged spleen. Elevated bilirubin levels. What is wrong?

I am a 37 year old male...6 2 tall, been an athlete my entire life. I went to the ER two days ago for severe back pain. It was located mid to lower thorax , not flank area. Over the past few years I have had elevated bilirubin levels. I had a CT scan and it showed an enlarged (mild to moderate) spleen . Direct bilirubin was 0.30 and total bilirubin was 1.8... need help with what is going on.
Asked On : Thu, 6 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  195
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hi there :

I think this is a referred pain from viscera ( gall bladder and so on). I guess what I am trying to say the low back pain is not from your back likely, rather it is from other reasons ( hepato-biliary system) but this what you feel at this moment.

Furthermore, I would like you to see if the back pain radiate ( referred to your legs)/ as well if this related with prolonged standing or to the body position. such info might help to verify wether these symptoms from back originally or referred to your back from other reason.

Take care
Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor