Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering from severe anxiety, fear of being in a closed room, seeing crime stories. Cure?

Hello Sir.....I am XXXXXXX.My grandpa aged 78 has extreme anxiety problems.He always gets scared when he is in a closed room or when he is lonely,he is even scared to see crime stories.recently he took a thyroid test which showed 0.02 but a few days back when he checked his level improved to 0.16 but still this extreme anxiety is prevailing.Can you give a solution to this problem?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

He is showing the features of anxiety disorder called Agoraphobia along with non specific anxiety. As he is 78 so he might showing symptoms due to Alzheimer's disease. But other features like memory impairment, cognitive decline etc are also observed. His thyroid levels may be a cause of anxiety but there are not in extreme ranges. As he is in distress I will advise you to take him to a good psychiatrist for expert opinion. Medicines like Propranolol, clonazepam can be given in low doses. Other medicines like Sertaline are also useful and have proven results in anxiety in elderly. And above all proper warm support and care is must for him.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Wed, 20 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern for your grandfather. The symtoms you describe point towards agoraphobia or fear of closed spaces. The thyroid levels should not be a cause for worry. The therapy includes:
1. Anti-anxiety agents like SSRIs
2. Psychotherapy techniques like ERP/Exposure and response prevention
A combination therapy is always better than either of the above alone. Wish him good health and early recovery.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor