Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suffering from schizophrenia. Not cured by olimelt. Is there any alternate cure?

My wife suffers from schizophrenia from time to time . Her doctor has prescribed olimelt in last treatment . For the last few days she is again suffering from it , laughing , dancing , repeating and suspicious . Does not want to go to her doctor . We are giving her half oliment in her food/ tea but not regularly. Pl advise
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  164
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. Schizophrenia is a chronic disease that requires long term treatment. Hence, you would have to be patient to observe the results. Compliance to medication as well as regular follow up visits to the psychiatrist are important. Dosage of olimelt can be increased as well as a variety of other antipsychotics are available in case of non response. Hence you need not worry.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sanjeev Goyal's  Response
thanks for your query and welcome to HCM

Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe, and disabling brain disorder. People with this disorder may hear voices other people do not hear. They may believe other people are reading their minds, controlling their thoughts, or plotting to harm them. This can make them extremely agitated.
People with schizophrenia may not make sense when they talk. They may sit for hours without moving or talking. Sometimes people with schizophrenia seem perfectly fine until they talk about what they are really thinking.
Treatment helps relieve many symptoms of schizophrenia

olimelt (olanzapine salt) is an atypical anti psychotic that belongs to the thienobenzodiazepine class prescribed to your wife for panic episodes.either your wife not taking this or the dose is inappropriate you should consult to your treating physician for increase dose or to add other drugs .
Answered: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor