Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suffering from schizoaffective disorder and delusional psychosis

Hi, my friend was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder about 9 mos. ago after a year long delusional psychosis . He was 23, 6 4 , slim build. during his psychosis he became obsessed with a popstar and stalked her .Eventually he came to believe she could read his mind and was trying to steal his soul. This is when his obsession took on an angry turn and he was hospitalized. He said has not taken his risperidone since January, yet when we ve tried to have sex he s had erectile problems. Can the illness cause impotence? He says his doc has prescribed wellbutrin and that his diagnosis has changed to depression with psychotic features. This scares me since he s not taking his antipsychotic . He is stalking me and doesnt think there s anything wrong with that. Also, I sense an underlying anger that presents itself as strange passive agressive behavior/agreesive behavior. Even though he hasn t physically hurt me he has defaced property. He painted my guitar without asking. He tossed a big rock through a business because he thinks they deseved it by rejecting him. According to him he is always the victim. I ve had to cease all interaction with him. Do you think he s headed for psychosis? Should I contact his parents?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  149
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for query,
Your friend requires evaluation his case.
He might have schizophrenia and require urgent attention.
Contact his parents and inform regarding his condition.
Take him to psychiatrist and get the diagnosis properly.
Take treatment very regularly and keep follow up.
ok and bye.
Answered: Mon, 4 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
With the amount of details you have provided, it can be reasonably concluded that he is already suffering from a psychotic illness and needs proper medication. One of the important features of such illness is the lack of insight (patient does not realize that he is having a problem). Therefore, it is advisable to take help of his family members and ensure his proper treatment.
Answered: Thu, 7 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor