Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Suffering from ruptured ear. Frequent ear infections, hearing loss. Surgery suggested. On chemotherapy for breast cancer. Will boric powder help the ear?

Hi Doctors, This is in reference to my Mom s suffering with a ruptured ear condition. She went for a ear cleaning 7 years back from one one of the known doctors in Delhi and unfortunately landed with a ruptured ear. It has till date not healed. She keeps getting ear infections frequently every 3-4 months time. When her ear drum ruptured she also got to know that the second ear was never working maybe by birth. So, she was dependednt on that one ear only. But due to frequent ear infections and all the precautions she takes, she cant even use hearing aids easily. SO, no doctor (almost 4 doctors have been consulted for her) prescribes her for a surgery. On top of that 5 months back, she has been detected with breast cancer . She had undergone 6 chemos and now starting her Radiation therapy course. But due to her ear infections she is very demotivated more than her current problem of breast cancer. We fail to understand why is not gettign cured for her ruptured ear. Can anyone in this forum, please help to guide us on what can we do for her to get her problem fixed. Recently one doctor we referred to has told her to try putting Boric powder in her ear for few days...that might help to heal her ear drum..but no idea if thats gonna work or if there s any side effect to that. Also, is there any other way or treatment which can help her. Please suggest.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, in my opinion, boric acid does not help in healing the ruptured ear drum , instead it creates a acidic medium in the ear which might might help to reduce the repeated infection. That also is experimental.
I dont advise you to try all that.
If I were your treating doctor I would advise you to get her ear surgery done after her onco treatment.
But there is no other treatment to get her ear drums healed apart from surgery.
Answered: Tue, 8 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. A.K. Srivastava's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding surgery of rupturred ear drum. As you said that your mother is having only one working ear and unfortunately that had become diseased now due to accidental rupture of ear drum and than after repeated infection in that particular ear.

One symptom of medical history is very important that your mother is now can't hear by hearing aid, this indicates some bad development I.e. now sensory neural deafness is adding on with previous conductive deafness. This sensory neural deafness can't be corrected by ordinary ear surgery of middle ear and ear drum. This may be the possible reasion that your surgeon's are not doing ear surgery.

Your mother may use digital hearing aid or if your ENT doctor agrees than cochlear implant may be tried for improvement of hearing.

Answered: Tue, 8 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor