Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Suffering from paranoid disorder. Refuse treatment. How to treat it?

HI, My father is suffering from paranoid disorder. forl last 30 yrs he constantly accuse my mother of being unfaithful. the alligations are base less. She is not allowed to meet with people and go anywhere alone or without him. he is always saying absurd thngs to her. when we told him that he should get himself treated..he refused saying i am alright and whatever i say is right. we told him that then he should leave my mum, but he refuse to do so and says sorry , but then the next day again its the once he was ready to get himself treated and doctor prescribed Sizodon drops at night to him, but he won t take the medicine.....what to to give him the medicine...
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
It seems that your father is going thorough a psychiatric disturbance. He needs to be dealt with tactfully. Such patients do need a careful assessment and behavioral therapy. Medicines may also be helpful. You can give him the medicines after mixing them with food.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Thu, 14 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Ashish Mittal's  Response
welcome to Healthcare Magic.

From the history it appear that your father is suffering from psychotic illness. It may be schizophrenia or Delusional disorder. In psychotic illness patient do not have insight and they do not consider them-self ill even after lots of confrontation and conversation. Due to lack of insight they do not accept medicine.

In such cases medicine can be given in food after psychiatrist advise. Your psychiatrist already prescribed liquid preparation which can be mixed in food easily.

Wish you all the best.

Dr Ashish Kumar Mittal
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor