Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from pain in teeth.

I am suffering with recurrent pain in my lower right teeth. It comes with drinking hot coffee or anything hot. I had taken medicine from a dentist. I want a permanent cure.
Thu, 3 Oct 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
welcome to HCM
I went through your history & gives an indication towards irreversible pulpitis of associated tooth.
It refers that your tooth decay has progressed towards pulp.
Without further delay you should go for an IOPAR of associated & start with proper treatment.
It might be cured by Indirect Pulp Capping if decay is not that deep otherwise it may involve root canal treatment.
Meanwhile you can start with amoxiclav combination along with diclomol.
But these medicines will offer just temporary relief.
Maintain proper oral hygiene to prevent caries in other teeth.

Take Care

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Toothpain indicates infection in the tooth that had spread to the pulpal tissues, such type of infected tooth needs to be RCT treated to save it permanently.

I would suggest you to visit to the Dentist and get a checkup done take an x-ray of the affected and plan for the treatment.

Take a course of antibiotics and analgeics under the prescription of your Dentist.
Take antiseptic mouthwash rinses and maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out.

I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
Treatment includes :-
Use a floss to remove any particle lodged between teeth
Take a pain relieving tablet
Apply benzocaine containing antiseptic
Applying clove oil also might help
Brush teeth after every meal
Visit your dentist twice a year
Avoid smoking as it worsens dental conditions
Eat a balanced meal with reduced starch/sugar content
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
According to your explanation it seems that your having irreversible pulpitis.It is a persistent inflammatory condition of the pulp caused by noxious stimulus.
Pain is sharp , piercing, shooting, aggravated by heat and relieved by cold.
I suggest you to visit the dentist and get the radio graph done to know the exact condition.It can be corrected by the root canal treatment of the tooth.
hope this will help you.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,i would like to tell you that there could be following possibilities-
1.Deep caries in the tooth of that region.
2.Filling which expand on having something hot.
3.Deep cervical caries.etc........
So i will suggest you visit an endodontist in your area as soon as possible and get the thorough clinical examination done including x-rays and take a proper treatment.
For permanent treatment i will suggest you if there is deep carious tooth/teeth you need to go for root canal treatment.
Nothing to get worried.
Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Mrunal Meshram's  Response
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
recurrent pain with senitivity to hot suggests that your pulp is exposed and the tooth has gone to irreversible pulpitis
so what i would suggest is that you pay a visit to your dentist and get a radiograph done and if the tooth is savable than go for a root canal treatment and have a crown placed
in the meanwhile to reduce the infection and painyou can take the following medication
1.levoflox 500 mg twice daily for 5 days
2.combiflame twice daily for 5 days
having said that i would also like to say that you plan out to visit your dentist as soon as possible or else may be your tooth cant be saved
best of luck
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. Juhi Soni's  Response
Welcome to HCM forum,
Pain due to intake of hot coffee/tea means that infection has reached the pulp.
Consult a dentist for radiographical examination.
Permanent treatment for this is root canal treatment in which the infected pulp will be extirpated and canals are cleaned followed by filling.
Follow antibiotic coverage and get your examination done soon so that swelling may not occur due to periapical abscess.
Take care
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepali Upadhyaya's  Response
Hello SM,
your question projects that you are having pulpal pain in your right lower teeth. Pulpal pain refers to pain occuring in pulpal tissues which are supplied by nerves and thus when tooth is infected because of caries (tooth decay), if not cured or filled at earlier stage , decay leads into pulpal tissue of the tooth thus causing pain.
Get a IOPA( x-ray) done and root canal treatment will be the only permanent cure for your pain. Medicine will temporarily slow down the pain for sometime.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.

Do you have fillings in these teeth? If you do, the heat may be causing pain because the fillings expand and contract different than your teeth and may cause pain.

You may have root exposure and have sensitivity from this. Try Sensodyne toothpaste. You have to brush with it for 2-4 weeks twice a day before it really starts to work. Brush for two minutes, floss your teeth and spit out the excess toothpaste. Do not rinse your mouth out, eat or drink for a half hour. See if this helps.

What was the medicine given to you by the dentist?

The only permanent cure from tooth pain is root canal therapy, however this is not suggested unless causing undue distress in your life and other less invasive options have been exhausted.
Best wishes
Dr. Ward
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Prachi Mishra's  Response
hello and thanks for query,
your tooth must be decayed and there is irreversible pulpitis in it. you first get it examined by a dental surgeon and get an x ray done for that can be cured by root canal therapy and restoring it permanently with not ignore it get it treated as soon as possible.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
recurrent pain and specifically pain when when you take something hot refers to exposure of your pulp
so what i would advise is that you visit your dentist and get a radiograph done and if the pulp is exposed and the tooth is savable than get a root canal treatment and capping done.that will permanently save you from pain and discomfort
hope this helps
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Vishal Jain's  Response
Hi Sm,

In the history provided by you, it is written that you have recurrent pain with Hot stuff.

This is an clear indication of Irreversible pulpities, means the pulp tissue has been damaged or necrotized and it need an root canal treatment.

Medicine will not help you until and unless you go for RCT. this is the only permanent solution for you.

Dr. Vishal, Vitaldent, Faridabad.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Ankit Aggarwal's  Response
its clearly the case of irreversible pulpitis , so without wasting any of your time , get rct done of the concerned teeth. within 2-3 appointments , you will be over with it.
wishing you speedy recovery
with regards
Dr Ankit
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

pain in the tooth upon consumption of hot food stuff is called pulpitis.

It is inflammation of pulp tissue.In simple terms you can understand that the nerve tissue of your tooth is still in recovery phase,if treated at this stage will not progress further.

you can visit your dentist and get the tooth restored with suitable tooth co loured restoration,after removal of temporary restoration.

This will give you complete cure.

Hope it helps.


Take care.
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Amruta Jankar's  Response
hiiii, I have gone through the information provided by you.
Recurrent pain suggest that your tooth is having either a cavity or exessive attrition of the tooth which has given entry for infection to reach upto the pulp tissue of the tooth. tooth pulp is located a the center of tooth. on coming to contact with hot drinks it is elevating the pain. you should have x-ray done for conforming the damage to the pulp and if your dentist find the damage can be reversed then he will suggest you the fiiling to the tooth or if the decay is deep he would suggest you the pulp removal and filling of the canal ( RCT treatment). followed by cap on your tooth.
This only be the definite treatment and will give you permanent relief. the medications can only provide you the temporary cure for this.

Hope you find this helpful.

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Pragyajaygupta's  Response
welcome to HCM
As u have mentioned that pain start with hot beverages indicates pulpitis that is pulp is inflamed in relation to that tooth. so without wasting any more time immediately go and consult any dentist get an x-ray done. Then treatment can be planned according to extent of pulp involvement i.e. if decay has just started approaching pulp then it can be treated with pulp capping. And if pulp involvement is more then get root canal done in relation to that tooth followed by course of antibiotic and analgesic.
take care
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Stutee Beriwal's  Response
thanks for your query.
Recurrent pain on having hot drinks may be either due to reversible pulpitis or due to sensitivity.
Pulpitis basically means the part of the tooth that contains nerves and blood vessels is infected because of progression of dental caries within the pulp. Visit to an endodontist and get an IOPAR done for the confirmed diagnosis The line of treatment would be a root canal treatment
If there is no dental caries then sensitivity could be the reason for your recurrent pain..try using desensitizing tooth paste such as vantage which will give you relief.
also it is advisable if you consult a dentist for the final diagnosis and treatment...take care..
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bhavin Jain's  Response
firstly elaborate ur history. is there any deep cavities in ur teeth.according to ur history it is an chronic pulpitis. may be coz of deep dental caries or cracked tooth. for diagnosis n treatment go to ur dentist as soon as possible.
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Ashish Pandey's  Response
it seems that your teeth is sensitive it may be because of attrition, caries or some times may be because of problems in gum. so you should go to the dental surgeon for treatment but in the mean time you should take preventive measure like thermoseal toothpaste avoid taking hot and cold drink and if very necessary take doxycycline 1 tab twice a day metrogyl i tab three time a day and dolonex i tab sos when needed.

I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
« Previous 1 2 Next »

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hello mam, am 21year old girl.. am suffering from very bad tooth pain.. as wisdom tooth is coming out but there is no space to come out new one so on my wisdom teeth skin have covered from which am getting lot of pain plz hep me out.... Regards sana

doctor1 MD

Hello sir I am priya I am 24 years old. I am suffering from dental problem from one moth. My left side corner Gum is pussing everyday. My wisdom teeth is also coming out from that side. I have taken several medicine for this but no results. Please help me out.

doctor1 MD

I had a pain on my left lower inner tooth and i suffered pain for a month and had amoxillin 500 and paracetemol then i had keterol DT and the pain gone . now i got a boil under the same tooth . it s ther for past 2 weeks and last week it was burst. since my teeth is in good condition

Recent questions on  Dental caries

doctor1 MD

I gave birth 17 weeks ago and didnt get stitched for a tear in my vagina, I then was diagnose with an anal fissure when my baby was 10 weeks old and the dr told me to give time to heal. I am stilk experiencing alot of pain. And also very painful while having sex. I also have a thick white layer on the outside of my labia which doesn t come away while cleaning etc. What could this be? And how can I treat these problems?

doctor1 MD

as i am suffering from piles, fissures problems since one year. i am going on treatment ayurvedic and homeopathic. but still i am not getting result. please suggest any good medicine alopathic which is not having side effects and as i have got gastric and acidity problem.

doctor1 MD

My son soon to be 41yrs old had an injury at work that completely amputed his dominant right arm and externally amputed the external 98%. It was held on by a slither of skin in 2009. He has had 5 surgies. A bridge like bar inside the upper part of his arm and lower cavador nerves in the lower part. He has what they call a bear claw hand and wrist just flops so he has to wear a wrist brace but even though he has no feeling in certain parts of his hand he is in pain always especially in the cold. And where the bridge in the upper arm is you can t touch at all because it causes great pain. His WC cade was closed and now is on SSD and Medicare part A&B,but would never be able to afford any kind of medical bill balances. His medicines have cause him to have his teeth decay and he of course has no dental coverage at all. He needs a doctors that are willing to take care of his teeth with extractions and dentures but most important one that is willing to amputee his arm and give him a robotic one so he would once again have two arms and hands that work without pain any longer and then fix his teeth to aldso spot that pain and get him off his meds. But he also needs this all to be done pro bono since he would not be able to afford any cost. He is in the Bronx,NY.

doctor1 MD

I am looking for information on a fistula or fissure. I developed a fissure in my neck and throat 2 1/2 weeks ago and had leakage of liquids from it. My doctor did sew it up but I am still having some leakage thru the stitches. The fissure is tiny really not big enough to pack.

doctor1 MD

For the past week I have smelled the same odor no matter where I am. Smells like car exhaust. All the time. Never had smelling problems. This is totally unsettling. What might be happening?

doctor1 MD

i am having severe irritation on my tongue... i can see some little pink thorns like members on my tongue tip.. what can be the problem and give me some remedy doctor..

doctor1 MD

What would cause an unrelenting acrid smell, when no one else smells it? Nothing different in medications, food or environment.