Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Suffering from pain due to osteoporosis. On physical therapy. How to cure the limping?

Hello, My question is regarding my father who is 65-year-old now. He is suffering from knee osteoarthritis since the past 7 years, but now with more noticeable limp in his gait and some amount of pain. We have consulted orthopedists and they have suggested physical therapy for the pain but after all the blood tests and imaging, they don t think at this stage he is a good candidate for knee replacement as the condition is not severe. He is managing his day-to-day activities really well and the pain is also not too severe to affect his quality of life. The only thing I am concerned about is the limping with is really prominent and noticeable in his gait. He walks as if his one leg is shorter than the other. Is there some kind of orthosis or anything which he can use to make him walk with a normal gait.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The limp in the gait is likely to be due to the reduced joint space as a result of osteoarthritis. This can be taken care of with the help of regular physiotherapy exercises and using shoe inserts to balance his shoe.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor