Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
154 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
  • question-icon

    Suffering from moderate depression, general feeling on unhappiness, lack of appetite. Cure?

Hi, i am 17 years old and at college. I am usually a happy person however am feeling very depressed. I took an online test where i found out i was moderatley depressed. I cannot enjoy anything and have got 3 sores in my mouth ehich are painful and cannot eat properly. I am getting enough sleep but generally not feeling happy. Wjat can i do?
Wed, 17 Oct 2012
Report Abuse
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Feeling low, lack of energy, easy fatiguability, lack of interest or initiative, poor concentration, negative thoughts, poor sleep and appetite, etc. are all typical symptoms of depression. Please consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment. Treatment can be in the form of anti-depressant medication or psychotherapy. With proper treatment you will be able to come out of this situation. So, please don't hesitate to seek help immediately.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response

welcome to the public forum of healthcare magic

Features of depression are-

Sadness of mood, Loss of interest in pleasurable activities, irritability, decreased sleep and appetite, fatigue, decreased concentration etc

You have depressive features for which visit to a psychiatrist is required.......

Treatment- Drugs, Cognitive Behaviour therapy and other psychotherapy

I am sure you will be absolutely alright after proper treatment

Good Luck

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,
You are 17 yrs old only, and changes in mood or ups & downs in your age is a normal phenomenon. Also you have also accepted here that you are usually a happy person which is very nice part.
Basically you need to discuss the problem with any responsible person or elder person in your home instead of directly approaching any specialist as this so called depression is a very common problem.
Statistical study shows each and every person, goes through the stage of depression atleast once in life time. So, don't directly make drugs as your first choice for depression.
Instead, you can visit any clinical hypnotherapist for the same problem & yes depression can be thrown in dustbin with the proper sessions conducted by certified clinical hypnotherapist.
Join any self hypnotism courses, discuss all the day activities with your parents or elder ones before going to sleep every day.
Make yourself busy with constructive work, always talk to confident & strong people, how they survived difficult situations.
Star reading books on different subjects, make it habit.
And lastly, don't over react to any situation or acts by people.. because they are powerless without your reaction.

All the best. Take care.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr, I am suffering of moderate depression since 6 months and started taking antidepressants since 2 months,Doxedep 75 mg each night,but since...

Recent questions on  Anxiety/ depression

doctor1 MD

I have had multiple viruses infections etc in the last 6 mos the last one started off as a throat infection and ended up having mastitis now I have...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I hav started taking cipralex prescribed 10mg from my doctor for postpartum depression and have really itchy skin and what appears to be exema...

doctor1 MD

I am 19 years old and have been headaches for almost a year now. The pain doesn t stop, some days it hurts less, some days more. I was put on...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am a 50 year old woman who had a bi-lateral salpingo (sp?) oophorectomy and hysterectomy in 2008 due to ovarian cysts and severe...

doctor1 MD

I'm taking lamictal, Zoloft, and a little klonopin for anxiety/ depression . My psychiatrist is having me wean off the lamictal and start vyvanse....

doctor1 MD

Hi, i have been on effexor xr 75/mg for anxiety/ depression for over 12yrs with no need for a dose increase until a week a go when my anxiety...

doctor1 MD

I have been prescribed the following medications for relief from my spondylolithesis (I am having surgery 11/18): 50mg Tramadol 500mg Robaxen } as...